Sausage & Butter Bean Stew
Use butter beans to soak up the flavour of spicy sausages in this comforting stew. it only takes less than an hour to cook.
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 50 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 onions, sliced
• 1 rosemary sprig
• 2 lemons, zested
• 75g butter, cubed
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 600ml chicken stock
• 2 celery sticks, sliced
• crusty bread, to serve
• 2 x 400g cans butter beans, drained
• small pack parsley, leaves picked and chopped
• 16 chipolatas (try chorizo ones for a bit of chilli heat)
- Gently heat the oil in a large pan. Fry the sausages all over until brown, then remove and set aside. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 5-10 mins until golden and soft, then add the celery, garlic and rosemary, and cook for 2 mins more. Pour over the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins, then add the sausages back to the pan along with the butter beans. Simmer for 8 mins, then stir in the butter, parsley and lemon zest. Ladle into bowls and serve piping hot with lots of chunky bread.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Good Food at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sausage-butter-bean-stew