Curried Lamb Shank, Amaranth and Chickpea Soup
This Phoebe Wood dish is positively moreish. Given its flavours, it's also quite Moorish. Bound to warm you up this winter.
• Prep and cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 lamb shanks
• 400ml coconut milk
• 1 onion, nely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
• 1.5L (6 cups) chicken stock
• Micro shiso leaves, to serve
• 1 bunch broccolini, chopped
• 5cm piece ginger (25g), chopped
• 1/2 cup (100g) amaranth or quinoa
• 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
• 1 bunch kale, stalks removed, nely chopped
• 2 tsps each chilli powder, ground turmeric, ground coriander seeds and cumin
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season lamb and cook, turning, for 8 minutes or until browned all over. Remove from pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Return lamb to pan with spices, coconut milk and stock, and simmer gently for 3 hours or until lamb is very tender. Stir in the amaranth and cook for a further 20 minutes or until almost tender. Add chickpeas, broccolini and kale, and cook for 4 minutes or until tender. Season.
- Serve soup topped with micro shiso.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/curried-lamb-shank-amaranth-chickpea-soup/93a6f84f-c77e-4896-81dd-77cae29ad069?r=recipes/collections/ar08ik60