Chinese Hot Pot is a soup with a variety of fresh ingredients in a simmering pot of soup stock. This recipe is easy, delicious for the entire family.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 oz napa cabbage sliced
• 12 oz fish balls
• 6 oz chicken meat sliced
• 4 oz tofu
• 4 oz shiitake mushrooms sliced
• 4 oz white mushrooms sliced
• 6 oz shrimp shelled and deveined
• 4 oz salmon fillet cut into pieces
• 4 oz scallops
• 4 oz baby bok choy sliced
• 1 head garlic peeled and minced
• 5 tablespoons cooking oil
• 1 box Kitchen Basics® Original Chicken Stock 32 oz
• 3 cups water
• 5 heavy dashes ground white pepper
• Soy sauce
• Cut chilies optional
- Arrange the fresh ingredients on plates. Arrange the similar kinds of ingredients on the same plate. See picture above.
- Add the cooking oil in a skillet. When it's heated, make the Garlic Oil by frying the minced garlic until they turn light brown (do not fry until medium brown). Turn off the heat and transfer the garlic oil to a small bowl. Let cool.
- Turn on the Instant Pot and set it to Saute mode, for 30 minutes. Add the Kitchen Basics® Original Chicken Stock, water and McCormick Ground White Pepper. Bring the broth to boil.
- Add the napa cabbage first and cook for 1 minute.
- Add each ingredient into the Instant Pot in the following order, in batches: fish balls, chicken, tofu, mushrooms, shrimp, salmon, scallops and baby bok choy. Do not use up all the ingredients. The ingredients should be cooked in the hot pot in 2 to 3 bathes.
- When the soup comes to a boil, add some garlic oil on top. Stir to mix well. Ladle the ingredients and some soup into serving bowls and serve immediately with the Condiment. After you finish the first round, continue to cook the remaining ingredients in the soup until all ingredients are used up.
NOTES: You can get different kinds of fish balls in Asian supermarkets. They come in different shapes or form. They are all very tasty. Usually I would get plain white fish balls, fried fish balls (round or rectangle in shapes), and other fish sticks.
This great family recipe is thanks to Rasamalaysia Recipes at https://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-hot-pot/