Crispy Skin Barramundi with Cheddar Grits, Braised Tomatoes and Bee Pollen Vinaigrette
Southern springtime influences with crispy skin-on Australis Barramundi served with creamy corn and cheddar grits, braised heirloom tomatoes, and all things spring with bee pollen, lavender, honey, and delicate chives.
• Prep time: 45 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the Crispy Skin Barramundi:
• 2 tbsps canola oil
• salt and pepper to taste
• 4 x skin on barramundi fillets
For the Cheddar Grits:
• 2 shallots
• 1 cup water
• 1 tbsp butter
• 5 cloves garlic
• 1 cup white grits
• 1/2 cup corn stock
• 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
• 1 ear of corn, kernels removed
For the Bee-Pollen Vinaigrette:
• 2 tbsps honey
• 1 wand lavender
• 1 tbsp bee pollen
• 4-5 stems chives
• 2 ounces canola oil
• 1 ounce white vinegar
For the Braised Tomatoes:
• 3 sprigs thyme
• 2 ounces olive oil
• 2 ounces white wine
• 1 cup heirloom cherry tomatoes
- Remove kernels from cob. Make corn stock by simmering for 10 minutes.
- Saute minced garlic, shallots, and corn in a small pot with a tablespoon of canola oil.
- Add grits and stir to coat, allowing to lightly brown. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add stock and water. Let grits simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust viscosity to be slightly loose.
For Bee Pollen Vinaigrette: Using half the pollen, add vinegar and allow to infuse for 10 minutes. Add honey, salt, pepper, and lavender leaves. Add oil and mix vinaigrette. Just before service, add in remaining pollen and chives.
For the Braised Tomatoes:
- Cut two shallots into rings. Slice two cloves of garlic. Heat olive oil in a small pot.
- Sear shallots and garlic. Add white wine and thyme. Add salt and pepper and simmer tomatoes for 5-6 minutes.
For the Crispy Skinned Barramundi:
- Heat a pan very hot and carefully add canola oil.
- Pat the fish very dry and season with salt and pepper. Add fish into pan skin side down.
- Cook for 4 minutes on the skin side. Turn fish over and sear on the opposite side for another 3 minutes.
Plating Tips: It is important to maintain the essence of the dish by having the skin extra crispy. Place the grits on the bottom of the individual serving dish. Top the grits with the barramundi, skin side up. Scoop the tomatoes with some juice onto the place around the outside of the grits. Drizzle the bee pollen vinaigrette around the plate with some drizzles over the tomatoes. Try not to cover the skin. Garnish with additional chives on top of the barramundi.
This great family recipe is thanks to The Better Fish Recipes at https://www.thebetterfish.com/recipe/crispy-skin-barramundi-cheddar-grits-braised-tomatoes-and-bee-pollen-vinaigrette/