This beef stew is made in the slow cooker so the house stays cool. Enjoy this classic dish with vegetable twist!
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 6 hours
• Yield: Serves 4
Ingredients• 1 bay leaf
• 2 tbsps flour
• salt and pepper
• 2 cups beef broth
• 2 tbsps tomato paste
• 1 shallot, thinly sliced
• 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 small zucchini, chopped
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
• Chopped fresh basil for garnish
• grated parmesan cheese for garnish
• 1 1/4-1/2 pounds stew beef, cut into chunks
- Place olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat on the stove-top.
- Toss beef with flour, salt and pepper in a small bowl until all the pieces all equally coated.
- Add beef to the hot pot and brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer beef and all it's juices to the slow cooker.
- Add garlic, bay leaf, shallots, tomato paste and broth to the slow cooker. Stir to combine and set for 6 hours on low heat.
- Add zucchini and peppers 30 minutes before timer is up (after 5.5 hours of cooking), stir gently to combine and continue cooking with lid on for remaining 30 minutes.
- Serve with grain of choice
NOTES: If you want a thicker sauce, add a cornstarch slurry (1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water) to the slow cooker when you add the vegetables.
This great family recipe is thanks to Yummly Recipes at https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Slow-Cooker-Summer-Beef-Stew-1828441#directions