This chicken recipe is spicy, smoky, sizzling and packed with flavour.
• Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 lime
• olive oil
• 1 red pepper
• 1 yellow pepper
• 1 large red onion
• 1/2 tsp ground cumin
• 4 tbsps natural yoghurt
• 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
• 4 wholemeal flour tortillas
• 4 sprigs of fresh coriander
• 1/2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
• 4 x 120g skinless free-range chicken breasts
Chest's Mole Sauce:
• 1 tsp ground cumin
• 2 tbsps chipotle paste
• 2 medium ripe tomatoes
• 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 pinch of mild chilli powder
• 15g quality dark chocolate (70%)
- Place 1 tablespoon of oil into a bowl with the spices and half the lime juice.
- Peel and finely slice the onion, then trim and deseed the peppers. Slice the peppers and the chicken breasts into 1cm strips.
- Add the onion, pepper and chicken to the bowl of spices with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper and toss to coat. Leave to marinate while you make the mole sauce.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil into a pan over a medium heat. Finely chop the tomatoes and add to the pan, followed by the chipotle paste and spices. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then pour in 200ml of hot water. Cook for a further 10 minutes, or until thickened, mashing the tomatoes to make a smoother sauce.
- Remove from the heat and finely grate in the chocolate, stir until melted, then set aside for later. Wrap the tortillas in tin foil and put to one side.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and veg and fry for 6 minutes, or until cooked through, turning halfway. You may need to do this in batches.
- Meanwhile, pop the parcel of tortillas into a low oven for 5 minutes to warm through. Cut the remaining lime half into wedges, pick and finely chop the coriander leaves, and put the yoghurt into a little bowl.
- Remove the tortillas from the oven, and build the fajitas: take a wrap, spoon over some mole sauce and top with chicken and veg. Spoon over some yoghurt, scatter over a few coriander leaves and squeeze over a little lime juice. Nice served with a dollop of fresh guacamole.
This great family recipe is thanks to Jamie Oliver Recipes at https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-breast-recipes/clare-s-chicken-fajitas-with-cheat-s-mole-sauce/