Believe it or not, prawns and gooseberries are made for each other. Try them together in this super simple BBQ recipe.
• Prep and time: 45 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• a few pinches dried chilli flakes
• 36 whole-shell-on large raw prawns
• 1 small onion
• 1 lime, juiced
• 2 cloves garlic
• 3 tsps caster sugar
• 450g green gooseberries
• a large handful of leaves coriander, chopped
• 2 green chillies, 1 left whole, 1 finely chopped
- Prepare the BBQ for direct cooking by spreading the coals in an even layer. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Put the gooseberries in a roasting dish and cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until collapsed and charred in places. Put in a blender or food processor with all the salsa ingredients except the sugar and the finely chopped green chilli, and blend. Add a large pinch of seasoning, then add a tsp of sugar at a time until the salsa is pleasantly sweet and sour. Add the finely chopped chilli, and stir.
- Toss the prawns with some seasoning and the chilli flakes, and cook on the BBQ for 1 minute on each side, or until pink. (Alternatively, heat a large frying pan or griddle pan over a high heat. Drizzle the prawns with a little oil then fry or griddle, in batches, for 1 minute on each side until charred and pink.) Serve immediately with the salsa.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive Magazine at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/grilled-prawns-with-roasted-gooseberry-salsa/