Herby za’atar lends vibrant Middle Eastern flavor to our crispy-skinned Barramundi—perfectly contrasted by a dollop of refreshing Greek yogurt. We’re serving it over soft pearl couscous, studded with sautéed zucchini, fresh tomatoes, and Castelvetrano olives (a bright, buttery Sicilian variety).
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 4 Skin-On Barramundi Fillets
• 1 1/4 cups Pearl Couscous
• 1/2 lb Cocktail Tomatoes
• 2 Scallions
• 3 tbsps Roasted Almonds
• 1/2 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
• 1 oz Castelvetrano Olives
• 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
• 2 Zucchini
• 1 tbsp Za'atar Seasoning (Ground Sumac, Sesame Seeds, Salt, Ground Thyme, Whole Dried Oregano & Crushed Aleppo Pepper)
- Prepare the ingredients: Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high. Wash and dry the fresh produce. Quarter the tomatoes. Cut off and discard the root ends of the scallions; thinly slice, separating the white bottoms and green tops. Using the flat side of your knife, smash the olives; remove and discard the pits, then roughly chop. Halve the zucchini lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces. Roughly chop the almonds. Place the yogurt in a bowl; drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Marinate the tomatoes: In a large bowl, combine the quartered tomatoes, sliced white bottoms of the scallions, chopped olives, and vinegar. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally, at least 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the zucchini: While the tomatoes marinate, in a large pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the sliced zucchini in an even layer. Cook, without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned and softened. Transfer to a bowl. Wipe out the pan.
- Cook the fish: Pat the fish dry with paper towels; season on both sides with salt, pepper, and the za’atar seasoning. In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the seasoned fish, skin side down, and cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until the skin is lightly browned and crispy. Flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through. Turn off the heat.
- Cook the couscous: While the fish cooks, add the couscous to the pot of boiling water and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain thoroughly.
- Finish the couscous & serve your dish: To the bowl of marinated tomatoes, add the cooked zucchini, cooked couscous, chopped almonds, and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir to combine; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the cooked fish over the finished couscous. Top the fish with the seasoned yogurt. Garnish with the sliced green tops of the scallions. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to Blue-Apron Recipes at https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/za-atar-barramundi-couscous-with-marinated-tomatoes-mint-yogurt