The recipe cooks fast, so you're going to want to get organized. Having all of your preparation in place ready will let you move through the recipe with ease, and you'll churn out a delicious and evenly cooked stir-fry in no time. We have Tasting Table to thank for sharing this recipe with the world.
Serves: 4 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 red Thai chiles
- 2 tablespoons lard or soybean oil
- 8 ounces beef sirloin, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pickled green peppercorns
- 1 green Thai chile, crushed
- One 2-inch piece galangal, peeled and julienned
- ½ long green chile, thinly sliced into rings
- ½ long red chile, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 ounces (⅓ cup) long beans, cut into 1½-inch batons
- ½ cup sliced baby corn
- ½ yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons beef stock
- ½ cup holy basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon Lao Khao or any neutral rice liquor
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the garlic and red Thai chiles into a paste.
- In a large wok, heat the lard over medium-high heat. Add the chile paste and the beef, and stir-fry until fragrant and golden, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the pickled green peppercorns, green Thai chile, galangal, long green chile and long red chile, then stir-fry until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the long beans, baby corn and onions, and cook until the vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the sauces and sugar, followed by the beef stock. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat and stir in the basil leaves and Lao Kho.
- Adjust the seasoning with fish sauce, then divide between plates and serve.