Tender Beef Kebabs (Shashlik) Recipe
Beef Kebabs (or Shish kebabs) are a very important food and specialty of the Slavic people, but it’s not just limited to beef. Lamb, Pork, Chicken and even veggie kabobs are often on the menu!
Beef skewers are a little tricky to master. The key is to give your kabobs plenty of time to marinate and don’t rush it! I like to marinate at least 4 to 6 hours.
• Prep Time: marinate at least 4 to 6 hours
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves about 15
For steak kabobs:
• 15 medium bamboo or wood skewers
• 1 large purple onion sliced into 1 1/2" wide pieces
• 2 bell peppers any color, sliced into 1 1/2" wide pieces
• 2 lbs good quality beef I used top sirloin, cut into 1 1/2" pieces
For steaks marinade:
• 2 dry bay leaves
• 1 cup mild olive oil
• 4 garlic cloves pressed
• 1 tsp salt (optional: fine sea salt)
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice from 2 medium lemons
• 3 tbsps fresh or frozen dill chopped (or 1 tbsp dry dill weed)
- Combine all of your marinade ingredients in a large glass or plastic bowl (do not use aluminum) and stir to combine.
- Slice meat and transfer it into the marinade bowl, stirring well to coat. Marinate beef in the refrigerate4 to 6 hours, stirring a few times while marinating to make sure meat is evenly marinated. Note: Sometimes after long periods of refrigeration, the oil in the marinade can firm up a bit; it will liquify again if you let the marinated meat sit at room temp 30 minutes before skewering.
- Soak bamboo or wooden skewers at last 30 min. After the meat is done marinating, slice veggies and skewer them with meat onto Bamboo skewers. Brush/ pour remaining marinade over skewers.
- Grill over med/high heat for about 8-10 minutes or until you've reached the desired doneness, rotating every 2-3 minutes for even grilling. Remove kebobs from grill and let them rest at least 5 minutes before eating. If you cut into them right away, they will juice out and end up dry. Serve with your favorite steak sauce
• Using bamboo or wood skewers is best. The heat from a metal skewer can start cooking your meat from the inside, ruining that juicy pinkness that you might desire.
• Soak your wooden skewers in water at least 30 minutes so they don't scorch or burn completely on the grill.
• Don't crowd your skewers. You want a little space between your meat and veggies so your food grills on all sides.
This great family recipe is thanks to Natasha's Kitchen Recipes at https://natashaskitchen.com/tender-beef-kebabs-shashlik-recipe/