Great as a main course or an appetiser. Make this beautifully cured salmon dish 3 days prior to serving and then on the day, simply pull out of the refrigerator and slice according to desired thickness. Cut thick and add some micro herbs and infused oil for a hearty entree or main dish, or slice thinly and serve as a gorgeous canape.
• Prep time: 48 hours
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6-8
• 1/2 Side of fresh Huon Salmon
• 1 cup Icing sugar
• 1/2 cup Sea Salt
• 2 Lemons, zest only
• 2 limes, zest only
• 1/2 tsp Cardamon, ground
• 1/2 tsp White pepper, ground
• 1 tsp Juniper berries, finely crushed
• 1/4 cup Gin
- Blend all dry ingredients for 30 seconds
- Lay out sheets of cling film onto the kitchen bench wide enough to warp the salmon fillet in.
- Place the salmon fillet skin side down on to the cling film.
- Sprinkle the sugar cure over the fillet. Concentrate more of the cure on the thicker part of the fillet. This will stop over curing the thin tail end.
- Finally drizzle the gin over and wrap up tightly.
- Place onto a tray and refrigerate. For best results turn the fillet every 8 hrs
- 48 hrs later you will have a perfectly cured salmon fillet ready to eat.
This great family recipe is thanks to Huon Aqua at https://www.huonaqua.com.au/recipes/sugar-and-spice-cured-salmon/