Giant scallops are seared to caramelized perfection and served with a delicious sweet and savory bacon jam. Fresh basil adds extra freshness for this quick and delicious dinner!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1/2 lb scallops preferably U-10
• 6 oz bacon preferably center cut
• 1 cup finely chopped red onion
• 1/2 cup chopped grape tomatoes
• 1 tbsp sherry vinegar or balsamic
• 1 tbsp sugar
• salt and pepper
• olive oil
• a handful of basil leaves
- Fry up the bacon over medium heat until nice and crispy. Move to a paper towel and blot the excess grease off. Add the onion to the pan, and caramelize for 10 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, vinegar, and sugar, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 more minutes so the tomatoes can soften and the flavors can meld together.
- Heat up a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Pat your scallops dry with a paper towel, and season both sides generously with salt and pepper. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, then sear the scallops for about 2 minutes on each side (you don’t want to overcook these beauties)!
- Chop up the bacon and stir it into the onion tomato jam, and serve alongside the seared scallops. Chiffonade or chop the basil leaves and sprinkle over the dish, and drizzle a little bit of olive oil on the plate. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to Fifteen-Spatulas Recipes at https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/seared-u-10-scallops-with-bacon-jam-and-basil/