• Prep and cook time: 1 hour & 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 1 tsp water
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
• 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
• 2 tsps chopped fresh oregano
• 2 fresh deli pizza dough pieces
• 3 tbsps extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 2 pounds ground sweet pork sausage
• Favorite jarred marinara sauce, for dipping
• 1 can whole San Marzano tomatoes, drained
• 16 ounces pre-shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella
- Place 2 large rimmed baking sheets (at least 17 x 11 inches) in oven. Preheat oven to 450°F, leaving pans in oven as it preheats.Place pizza dough pieces on a lightly floured surface, and cover each with plastic wrap. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add sausage, and cook, stirring often, until browned and crumbled, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, crushing with a wooden spoon. Add garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper, and bring to boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cut each pizza dough piece into 4 equal portions. Roll each portion to a 8-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer 4 of the dough circles to a large piece of parchment paper. Transfer remaining 4 dough circles to another large piece of parchment paper.
- Spread 3/4 cup of sausage mixture over half of each dough circle. Top each with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella. Whisk together egg and water; brush a small amount of egg mixture around edges of each dough circle. Fold dough over filling, pressing and crimping edges to seal.
- Carefully slide 1 parchment paper piece with unbaked calzones onto a hot baking sheet; repeat with remaining unbaked calzones and hot baking sheet. Brush tops of calzones with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Bake in preheated oven until dough is golden brown and crisp, 18 to 20 minutes, switching pans top rack to bottom rack halfway through baking. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with marinara sauce on the side.
This great family recipe is thanks to My Recipes Recipes at https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/sausage-calzones