• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 1-pound bag sauerkraut, rinsed
• 8 small fingerling or red-skinned potatoes, halved if large
• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
• 12 ounces turkey kielbasa or chicken sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1 6-ounce boneless smoked pork chop, trimmed and sliced
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, smashed
• 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
• 1 tsp juniper berries (available in the spice aisle), crushed
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 apple, grated
• 1 cup dry white wine
• 2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
• Whole-grain mustard, for serving
- Soak the sauerkraut in a bowl of warm water. Cover the potatoes with water in a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Prick the sausages with a fork and add to the pot along with the pork; cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the meats and add the onion, garlic, coriander, juniper berries, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the apple and cook 2 more minutes.
- Drain the sauerkraut, then add to the pot along with the wine and 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, then uncover and cook until thickened, about 5 more minutes. Transfer the sauerkraut, meats and potatoes to a platter. Top with the parsley and serve with mustard.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food Network Recipes at https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/sausage-and-kraut-recipe-1972973