• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 150g ricotta
• 3 tbsps olive oil
• 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
• 400g wholemeal pasta
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 capsicum, thinly sliced
• 30g finely grated parmesan
• 300g cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 cup torn rocket, plus extra to serve
• 1/2 cup basil leaves, plus extra to serve
• 4 x beef or pork sausages and any types of sausages you like, squeezed out of their skins into rough pieces
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of well salted boiling water until al dente (7-8 minutes, or according to packet instructions), drain and return to pan with 2 tbsp of the cooking water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add sausage and brown well (2-3 minutes), then transfer to a plate. Add onion, capsicum and garlic to pan, saute until tender (4-5 minutes), then add tomatoes, season to taste and cook until beginning to soften (1-2 minutes). Return sausage to pan, cook for another minute to cook through, then add vinegar.
- Add to pasta along with rocket, basil and parmesan, toss to combine and serve dolloped with ricotta, scattered with extra rocket and basil.
• For a richer sauce, swap the fresh cherry tomatoes for canned cherry tomatoes.
• Choose a pasta such as shells or penne to help hold the chunky sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Australian Beef at https://www.australianbeef.com.au/recipes/sausage-and-capsicum-pasta/