Full of crunch and packed with punchy flavours, this fresh and healthy meal is quick to prepare.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/4 tsp five-spice powder
• 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
• 20 green prawns, peeled, tails intact
For Asian Slaw:
• 2 tsps soy sauce
• 2 tbsps lime juice
• 2 tsps white sugar
• 1/2 cup small fresh mint leaves
• 2 tbsps sesame seeds, toasted
• 1 large carrot, cut into thin batons
• 1/2 Chinese cabbage (wom bok), shredded
- To make the Asian slaw, place the cabbage, carrots and mint leaves in a bowl. In a separate small bowl, stir together the lime juice, sugar and soy sauce. Add to the vegetables and toss well to combine. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Place the five-spice powder in a bowl with 1 tablespoon fine salt and 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper. Add the prawns and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan.
- When hot, add the prawns in batches and fry until just changed in colour. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel, then serve with the Asian slaw.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/salt-pepper-prawns-asian-slaw/1f06f9fb-dad1-4c51-9236-8cd0598df7d8