Precooked sausages made from beef, pork and flavored with a variety of seasonings are sold in the meat department of many markets. A selection of three or four different kinds is perfect for a crowd.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 10
• 3/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
• 10 ciabatta rolls, split in half
• 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
• Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
• 3 red onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 5 lb. assorted precooked sausages, at room temperature
• 10 portobello mushrooms, each 5 inches in diameter, brushed clean and stems removed
• Assorted condiments for serving, such as pickle relish tomato relish, onion jam, pesto, crumbled fresh goat cheese, flavored mustard and mayonnaise, and sliced tomatoes
- Prepare a medium fire in a grill.
- Lightly brush the sausages and cut sides of the ciabatta rolls with 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Grill the sausages, turning once, until heated through and slightly charred, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the sausages to a cutting board.
- In a bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, the vinegar, garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Brush the mushroom caps and onion slices with the olive oil mixture, coating them evenly. Grill the mushrooms and onions, turning once, until they are soft and lightly charred, about 3 minutes per side. Place the ciabatta rolls, cut side down, on the grill and grill until lightly toasted and warm, about 2 minutes.
- While the vegetables and rolls are on the grill, cut the sausages on the diagonal into thirds, capturing any carving juices, if possible. Arrange the sausage pieces on a warmed platter and drizzle with the carving juices. Arrange the mushrooms and onions alongside the sausages or on another warmed platter and garnish with rosemary sprigs. Serve immediately with the ciabatta rolls and condiments. Serves 10.
This great family recipe is thanks to WILLIAMS SONOMA at https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/grilled-sausages-portobellos.html?utm_campaign=yummly&utm_medium=yummly&utm_source=yummly