This classic starter gets a punchy update from the Hairy Bikers in the form of fiery central American additions.
• Prep time: less than 30 minutes
• Cook time: no cooking required
• Yield: Serves 4
For the prawn cocktail:
• 8 dashes Tabasco
• 1 lime, juice and zest
• 6 radishes, trimmed, finely sliced
• 1 shallot, peeled, very finely diced
• 150ml/5fl oz low-fat crème fraîche
• 150ml/5fl oz ready-made gazpacho
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 red chilli, stalk removed, finely diced
• 2 tomatoes, skins removed, flesh diced
• 500g/1lb 2oz frozen Atlantic orawns, de-frosted, drained
• small bunch fresh coriander leaves, chopped, plus extra sprigs to garnish
• 4 sprigs fresh coriander
• 4 pinches cayenne pepper
• 2 small baby gem lettuces, shredded
• 4 large fresh cooked prawns, heads and shells intact
• 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed, flesh sliced lengthways
- For the prawn cocktail, mix together all of the prawn cocktail ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, divide the shredded lettuce equally among four serving dishes. Arrange the avocado slices on top, then spoon over the prawn cocktail mixture. Sprinkle over a pinch of cayenne pepper and garnish with a shell-on prawn and a sprig of coriander. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Recipes at https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prawn_cocktail_84675