Italian Style Meatballs
Ingredients (serves 4)
400 g beef mince
1 clove crushed garlic
1 cup grated Parmesan
2 slices thick white Italian-style bread (crusts removed)
⅓ cup milk
1 tbsp olive oil
750 ml bottle of tomato pasta sauce
1 cup beef stock
500 g pasta to serve
- Place the beef mince, garlic, Parmesan, basil and a little salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Tear the bread into small pieces, place in a bowl, and pour over the milk and olive oil. Set aside until bread absorbs most of the liquid. Mix with a fork. Add to the beef mince. Using your hand bring the mixture together and knead until combined.
- Shape small spoonfuls of mixture into small meatballs. Place the tomato pasta sauce, stock and a few basil leaves in a wide heavy based pan, bring to the boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Have the tomato sauce at simmering point, not any higher or meatballs may break apart. Carefully spoon the meatballs into the sauce and cook uncovered for about 10–12 minutes or until meatballs are cooked (depending on the size of the pan the meatballs may need to be gently turned while cooking). While meatballs are cooking, cook pasta.
- Serve pasta with a spoonful of the tomato sauce and spoon over a few meatballs and flakes of Parmesan and basil leaves.