Instant Pot Harvest Chicken with Vegetables - the perfect easy low carb / keto-friendly complete meal for fall. Best of all, this pressure cooker chicken recipe cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with Brussels sprouts, pumpkin, broccoli and yellow zucchini. Includes instructions for the Instant Pot & stovetop.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
• 2 tbsps olive oil
• 1/4 tsp dried sage
• 1/2 tsp dried thyme
• 1 cup broccoli florets
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
• 1/2 small onion, chopped
• sea salt and pepper to taste
• 1 1/2 tbsps balsamic vinegar
• Instant pot OR cast Iron skillet
• 2 garlic cloves, sliced or minced
• Chopped fresh parsley or thyme
• 1 small yellow zucchini, quartered
• 1/2 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth
• 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin
• 3 tbsps ghee, swap with butter if not paleo OR whole 30
• 1 cup chopped pimpkin (or butternut squash if not low carb)
• 2 cups Brussels sprouts (about 1/2 pounds), trimmed and halved
- Preparation: First season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary and sage.
To cook in the instant pot:
- Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot. (I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO)
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Melt ghee in the Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth along with the browned chicken back into the Instant Pot. Add the pumpkin and Brussels sprouts. Lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
- When done, do a quick release, then remove your Instant Pot lid. Add the broccoli and zucchini then close the lid for 2 minutes to steam.
- Once the broccoli is tender, remove chicken and all the vegetables to a platter; cover loosely to keep warm.
- Press saute and cook any remaining sauce for about 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Serve sauce with chicken and vegetables; sprinkle with rosemary and parsley, if desired.
To cook on the stove:
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add olive and cook for 4-5 on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
- Return pan back to heat and melt ghee. Stir in the onions and garlic. Add balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan while stirring up any brown bits. Add the chicken broth then add the chicken back into the pan until hot.
- Add Brussels sprouts, pumpkin, onion, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender and the onions are beginning to look translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and zucchini and cook for 1 minute. Pour in 1/4 cup of the broth. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the reserved chicken and remaining 1/4 cup broth. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle chicken with fresh rosemary and chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables.
This great family recipe is thanks to Life-Made-Sweeter at https://lifemadesweeter.com/instant-pot-harvest-chicken/