• Prep time: 1 hour
• Cook time: 4 minutes (plus rest for 5 minutes)
• flaky sea salt
• black pepper
• 1 knob of butter
• 1/4 bunch of thyme
• vegetable oil, or groundnut oil
• 3 garlic cloves, bashed but unpeeled
• 2 sirloin steaks, measuring 3cm in thickness
- Before you begin, remove the steaks from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature (for at least 1 hour).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Place a heavy-based frying pan or griddle pan over a high heat and add a good dash of oil. Season the steaks liberally with flaky sea salt.
- When the oil is hot, add the steaks carefully to the pan and cook for 2 and a half minutes, or until beautifully golden on the underside.
- Turn the steaks over and add a knob of butter, some thyme and a few garlic cloves. Baste the steak with the butter and once golden on the underside, place in the oven for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the steaks from the pan and allow to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes before serving. Season and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Great-British-Chefs at https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-cook-sirloin-steak-to-perfection