Growing up Massimo’s parents owned a popular Italian restaurant in Hobart and Massimo still spends a lot of time in the kitchen with his Mamma Maria whenever possible. Staying true to his heritage has served Massimo well over the years so when working together to create some new Huon Salmon recipes it made sense to stick to his roots and serve up some of his favourites with a Huon Salmon twist!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 200g Premium Cold Smoked Huon Salmon
• 125g Ricotta
• 20g Capers (drained)
• 50ml Extra virgin olive oil
• 100g Shredded mozzarella
• 1/2 Red onions, peeled and finely sliced
• Polenta for dusting
• 1/2 Lemon
• 1/2 Bunch of chives
• 14g Dry Yeast
• 25g Salt
• 600ml Warm Water
• 900g 00 Flour (strong/pasta/pizza flour) extra virgin olive oil
Mix yeast and water and set aside for 15 minutes or until the mix is frothy. Remember that yeast is a living thing so it needs to be treated with care.
If your mix does not bubble up and go crazy, your yeast is old or your water is too cold (or even too hot)!
- Sieve flour and salt into a mixing bowl, add honey and start to mix through the flour. Add water and yeast mix to the flour while mixing, but only a little bit at a time.
TIP: A little tip when making pizza at home is to turn the heating up inside just a little if its cold outside. In summer it won't be an issue, but the biggest tip I'll give you is to try and control the temperature as much as possible!
- If you're using a machine mixer, work the dough for 6-7 minutes. If using your hands (which I recommend) then 10-12 minutes of kneading the dough will be perfect.
TIP: When kneading the dough treat it like a firm massage. This will work the gluten. Rest the dough for two hours on the kitchen bench so it can double in size. You will need to knead it again for a minute or so.
- Oil two large oven trays and split your dough into two. Dust the trays with the polenta.
You will need to now push the dough into the edges of the tray and adjust the pizza accordingly.
Now you're ready for the really fun bit–the toppings!
- Preheat your oven to the hottest setting while you sort out your toppings.
- Begin by spreading ricotta onto the rolled out pizza base.
TIP: If the ricotta is too firm, add a little bit of milk to make it easier to work with. Now place your sliced red onions around the pizza, add the capers and shredded mozzarella. Place pizza(s) into the hot oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Once your pizza is beginning to become golden-brown, remove from pizza tray and finish cooking on oven grills for a further five minutes. This allows moisture to be removed from the centre of your pizza.
- Finally, take the pizza out of the oven and place your Cold Smoked Huon Salmon on the pizza and mix olive oil and lemon juice with chopped chives and scatter on the pizza. Season with cracked pepper to finish, and more ricotta on top if you wish!
This great family recipe is thanks to Huon Aqua Recipes at https://www.huonaqua.com.au/recipes/huon-salmon-pizza-massimo-mele/