Tangy pickled onions make a great companion dish for sausages that are cooked on the grill.
• Prep and cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 30
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• assorted mustards
• 2 cups cider vinegar
• Grated zest of 2 oranges
• 1 tsp cracked black pepper
• 8 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
• 4 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
• 6 x 12 ounce packages cooked sausages (can be any type of sausages you like)
- Drop the onions into lightly salted boiling water for 1 minute; drain. Place the onions in a bowl with the pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, vinegar, and orange zest; add just enough water to cover. Refrigerate until the onions are bright pink, about 3 hours. Drain before serving.
- The sausages can be grilled or broiled earlier on the day of the party. Slice them into bite-size pieces (which makes knives unnecessary) and reheat them in foil in the oven before serving with the onions and an assortment of gutsy, grainy mustards.
This great family recipe is thanks to my recipes at https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-sausages-with-pickled-onions