Anyone who loves butter and garlic (and who doesn’t!?) will adore this Garlic Butter Roast Chicken recipe!
A whole chicken is smothered with an easy homemade garlic butter and stuffed with fresh herbs and onion. Then it’s roasted to juicy and tender perfection in the oven.
With just about 5 minutes prep, what could be more mouthwatering than a simple recipe like this one? This roast chicken is perfectly tender & juicy on the inside with a garlic-butter crispy skin!
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 medium onion
• kosher salt and black pepper
• 3 1/2 to 4 pound whole chicken
• 2 tbsps unsalted butter softened
• 2 cloves garlic finely chopped, more to taste
• 4 sprigs thyme or 1 sprig rosemary or parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Ensure the cavity of the chicken is empty by removing the bag of giblets and neck. (Not all chickens will have these.)
- Dab the chicken dry with a paper towel and season the inside and outside with salt and pepper.
- Cut the onion in half (so you have two quarters of an onion) and place the onion and thyme inside the cavity of the chicken. If the legs are not tied together, use kitchen twine to tie them.
- Combine butter, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves). Mix well.
- Spread the garlic butter mixture over the skin of the chicken *see note. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken in a cast iron or ceramic baking dish. Herbs, onions, lemons, & garlic can be added to the pan if desired.
- Place the chicken in the oven and reduce the heat to 425°F. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the juices run clear and the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the melted garlic butter in the pan if desired.
This great family recipe is thanks to Spend With Pennies at https://www.spendwithpennies.com/roast-chicken/