Making Chinese dishes at home is not just healthier than takeout, it’s also way, way faster than waiting for delivery. This easy orange chicken comes together in about 20 minutes.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 tsp kosher salt
• 2 tbsps vegetable oil
• 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2 inch cubes
For the Orange Sauce:
• 2 tsps orange zest
• 1/4 cup cold water
• 2 tbsps brown sugar
• 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp seasoned rice wine vinegar
• 1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
• 3 tbsps low sodium soy sauce or tamari
• 1/2 tsp chili-garlic paste, plus more to taste
• steaming rice
• sesame seeds (Optional)
• chopped green onions (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Fit a rack in the center position. Prepare a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or spraying it with nonstick baking spray.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken breast pieces with salt and the vegetable oil. Arrange the chicken pieces on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken in the oven on the center rack, until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Prepare the orange sauce: In a small bowl form a slurry by combining the cornstarch with the water until smooth. In a small saucepan add the orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, chili-garlic paste, sugar, garlic and rice wine vinegar, mix to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce, stir to combine and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the sauce has thickened, 3-5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, pour the orange sauce over the chicken and toss until the chicken is fully coated.
- Serve over white rice or cauliflower rice, sprinkled with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
This great family recipe is thanks to The Modern Proper at https://themodernproper.com/easy-orange-chicken