Shallow-fried scallops get extra crispy on the outside and super tender inside when double-dredged in an Old Bay–seasoned cornmeal mixture.
• Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 large eggs
• 2 tsps seasoning
• 1 avocado, sliced
• 1/2 cup cornstarch
• 1/2 cup basil leaves
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
• 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
• 1 garlic clove, finely grated
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup fine-grind yellow cornmeal
• 3 tsps kosher salt, divided, plus more
• vegetable oil (for frying; about 2 cups)
• 1 lb. sea scallops (about 16), side muscle removed, patted dry
• 3 small or 2 large Belgian endive, root trimmed, leaves separated
• 3 small or 2 large oranges, peel and pith removed, cut into segments
- Whisk cornstarch, cornmeal, Old Bay, baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs in another medium bowl. Season scallops with 1 tsp. salt, then use your hands to toss in cornmeal mixture until coated. Lift, shaking off excess cornmeal mixture, and transfer to egg mixture. Turn to coat, then lift, shaking off excess egg. Toss scallops to coat again in cornmeal mixture, then let them sit in mixture until ready to cook.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large heavy skillet to a depth of 1/4". Heat over medium-high until it sizzles when a pinch of cornmeal is added. Working in batches if needed, cook scallops until just cooked through and coating is golden brown, 1–2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Season with salt.
- Whisk olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper in a large bowl. Add endive, oranges, avocado, and basil and use your hands to very gently toss to coat with dressing.
- Divide salad among plates. Arrange scallops on top of salad, then pour remaining dressing over.
This great family recipe is thanks to Epicurious at https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/crispy-scallop-salad