Clearwater Sea Scallops with Cranberry Chutney, Celery Root and Mustard Greens
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 20 Clearwater Sea Scallops
• 500 ml dry white wine
• 250 g dried cranberries
• 1 tbsp granulated sugar
• 1 large shallot
• zest of 1 lemon & juice of ½
• 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
• 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium cleaned, diced celery root
• 1 medium Yukon potato, diced (slightly smaller than celery root)
• 250 ml 35% cream
• 250 ml low fat milk
• 1 tsp nutmeg
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 2 tbsp sweet butter
• 1 tsp honey
• salt & white pepper
• 2 cups of cleaned mustard greens, stalks minced, leaves coarsely chopped
• 8 stalks of asparagus (blanched & pealed if large) cut in ½
• 1 large shallot minced
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1 tsp pommery mustard
Red Wine Reduction
• 500 ml red wine
• 150 ml balsamic vinegar
• 3 tbsp granulated sugar
• 1 large bay leaf
• salt to taste
- Place all ingredients, except for olive oil in a small
stainless pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover pot with lid set ajar, cook until cranberries are
soft & liquid has reduced by 2/3. Let cool at room
- With a hand blender or food processor, lightly pulse the
cranberry mixture. At this point, add the olive oil,
season with kosher salt. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- Place all ingredients (except for nutmeg and cinnamon)
in a medium sized pot. Cook until celery root &
potatoes are tender.
- Place in a blender with 3 tablespoons of liquid, blend
until smooth. Add spices. Adjust consistency with
- Check seasoning. Should have a thin, silky mash potato
- Over medium high heat, sauté garlic & shallot in olive
- When golden brown, add asparagus & mustard green
stems. Cook for one minute until warm.
- Add mustard greens pommery mustard. Adjust
Red Wine Reduction:
- Place ingredients in a pot; reduce over medium high heat by ¾. Reserve in a warm spot. Heat before serving.
- Sear 5 seasoned scallops per person over high heat (20
in total) until golden brown on both sides but still rare in
the center. (One minute per side)
- Place on an ovenproof tray, topping each scallop with ½
teaspoon of the cranberry chutney. Place in 425º oven
for 4-6 minutes.
- Gently heat celery root purée & mask bottom of plate.
- Meanwhile the mustard green are heated and
seasoned. Place them in the middle of celery root.
Spread out to form a base for the scallops.
- Remove Scallops from oven, place on top of mustard
greens. Drizzle red wine reduction around perimeter of
This great family recipe is thanks to Clearwater Recipes at https://www.clearwater.ca/en/clearwater-kitchen-industry/recipes/scallop-recipes/sea-scallop-recipes/clearwater-sea-scallops-with-cranberry-chutney-cel/