• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 400g beef mince
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 red onion, finely chopped
• 1 medium eggplant, trimmed, diced
• 150g mushrooms, thinly sliced
• 2 clove garlic, crushed
• 1 medium zucchini, grated
• 2 tbsps no added salt tomato paste
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 250g wholemeal penne
• 40g (½ cup) fresh breadcrumbs
• 65g (½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
• Steamed baby carrots and snow peas, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan forced. Heat oil in a large saucepan pan over a medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add eggplant and mushrooms, cook for 3-4 minutes further or until golden. Add garlic and zucchini, cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add mince, cook breaking mince up with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste, cook for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and ¼ cup (60ml) water, bring to a simmer for 10 minutes or until thick.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water, according to packet instructions, or until al dente. Drain. Return to pan.
- Add the mince mixture to pasta, stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to a 2 litre (8 cup) capacity oven proof baking dish sprayed with olive oil. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over pasta bake. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool for 2 minutes before serving.
- This pasta bake is suitable to freeze. Divide between small individual serve containers, cover with an airtight lid and freeze.
- Lamb mince would also work well in this recipe.
This great family recipe is thanks to Australian Beef Recipes at https://www.australianbeef.com.au/recipes/beef-mushroom-and-eggplant-pasta-bake-with-cheesy-breadcrumb-topping/#