This crispy and golden Barramundi coated in a fusion of ginger, passionfruit and chilli on a bed of freshly steamed jasmine rice is your Asia with a Western twist.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 6 x 200g wild barramundi fillets, skin scored
• 1 1/2 tbsps lemon juice
• 2 1/2 tbsps plain flour
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
• Coriander sprigs, to garnish
Ginger & Passionfruit Sauce:
• 1 1/2 tablespoons sunflower oil
• 3cm piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
• 1 white onion, thinly sliced
• 6 garlic cloves, sliced
• 1 small red capsicum, thinly sliced
• 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced on the diagonal
• 4 coriander roots (from a bunch of fresh coriander), finely chopped
• 1 passionfruit, pulp strained to loosen, seeds returned to the juice (to give about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
• 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
• 1 tbsp oyster sauce
• 2 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Rinse the fish fillets under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Place the fish on a plate, then rub each fillet all over with salt and drizzle with the lemon juice. Cover and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the ginger and passionfruit sauce, heat the oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes. Add the red capsicum, chilli and coriander roots, and cook for 3 minutes or until the onion becomes transparent. Reduce the heat to low, add the passionfruit juice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the caster sugar, oyster sauce and fish sauce, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until the sauce thickens. Add the lemon juice and stir to combine. Keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.
- Dust fish with flour. Heat oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat.
- In batches if necessary, cook fish skin-side down for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Turn and cook for a further 3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Divide the fish fillets among serving plates and top with the sauce. Serve with steamed jasmine rice and garnish with coriander sprigs.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/barramundi-ginger-passionfruit-sauce/65903be7-f7a9-4041-a182-6c47f16d8341?current_section=recipes