Give homemade burgers a Tex-Mex twist in this easy recipe. Serve spicy beef patties (made using our ultimate beef burger recipe) with a zesty slaw, jalapeños and a rich cheese sauce.
• Prep and cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• veg oil for brushing
• 3 tbsps mayonnaise
• 4 burger buns, toasted
• 2 tbsps fajita seasoning
• grated zest and juice 1 lime
• 1 small red onion, finely chopped
• 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
• 1/2 small white cabbage, finely shredded
• 1/2 portion delicious ultimate beef burgers
• tomato ketchup and pickled jalapeños to serve
• 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped (about 30g)
For the Cheese Sauce:
• 1 tbsp cornflour
• 1 tsp chilli powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 250 - 300ml evaporated milk
• 200g sharp cheddar or a mixture of cheddar and monterey jack, coarsely grated
- For the cheese sauce, whisk together 250ml evaporated milk and the corn flour in a saucepan. Put over a medium heat and bring it to the boil (whisking all the time), then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, chilli powder, garlic and onion powders, and a pinch of salt. If the cheese isn’t fully melted, gently warm over a low heat until silky smooth. Adjust the thickness with a little more evaporated milk if needed. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Heat a ridged griddle pan, heavy-bottomed frying pan or prepare a barbecue for high direct heat. Brush the burgers with oil and sprinkle with the fajita seasoning. Cook for 6-8 minutes until cooked through and well browned.
- While the burgers are cooking, toss together the cabbage, carrot, coriander, onion, mayo and lime zest and juice in a bowl. Season with salt and a little pepper.
- Spread the burger buns with a dollop of ketchup, then pile on the slaw. Top each bun with a cooked burger patty then pour over a generous helping of the cheese sauce. Finish with a few slices of pickled jalapeño and pop the bun lid on. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious Magazine at https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/tex-mex-inspired-cheeseburger/