Plump juicy chicken meatballs smothered in a terrific homemade Teriyaki sauce, based on my mother’s authentic Teriyaki Chicken recipe. Would you serve these Teriyaki Chicken Meatballs as a meal or pass them around at a party?
These Teriyaki Meatballs are a total crowd pleaser. The sauce for this recipe is based on my mother’s real-deal Teriyaki Chicken recipe (you will be surprised how easy it is – less than 15 minutes start to finish, NO marinating!)
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
• 1/4 cup / 65ml Mirin
• 3/4 cup / 180ml water
• 1 tbsp cornflour / cornstarch
• 1 tbsp white sugar (Brown also OK)
• 1/4 cup / 65ml soy sauce, all purpose / ordinary
• 1/4 cup / 65ml cooking sake or sub with Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
For the Meatballs:
• 1 egg
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 500g / 1 lb chicken mince
• 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
• 1 1/2 tsp cooking sake, or sub with Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
• 1 tbsp oil
• Sesame seeds, for garnish (Optional)
• Sliced green onions / scallions, for garnish (Optional)
- Place Meatball ingredients in a bowl.
- Place cornflour in a bowl with 1 tbsp of the water, then mix until lump free. Then add the soy sauce, sake, mirin and sugar, mix.
- Add 2 tsp of Teriyaki Sauce into the Meatball bowl.
- Add remaining water into the Sauce and mix. Set aside.
- Mix Meatball mixture with your hands. Measure out 1 heaped tablespoon and roll into balls. See Note 3 for tips if mixture is too sticky.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add all the meatballs and cook, rolling to brown all over, for 5 minutes. They will still be a bit raw inside.
- Turn heat down. Give the Sauce a quick mix then add it into the pan. Bring to a simmer then cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until it thickens into a glossy sauce that coats the meatballs.
- Serve over rice, garnished with green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
This great family recipe is thanks to Recipe Tin Eats at https://www.recipetineats.com/teriyaki-chicken-meatballs/