Curing salmon isn’t as difficult as you’d think! Combined with Tasmanian pepperberries and spirits of your choice, this salt cured Huon Salmon will literally melt in the mouth.
Cured salmon will keep for three days in the refrigerator, so there’s plenty of excuses for leftovers (or maybe not!).
Don’t forget if you can’t make it to one of our Huon stockists you can also purchase your fresh Huon Salmon online and we’ll deliver straight to your door ANYWHERE in Australia!
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 24-48 hours
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 side Fresh Huon Salmon
• 1 cup Rock Salt
• 1/4 cup Tasmanian pepperberries
• 1/4 cup Fine salt (pure lake salt)
• 2 tbsp Sugar
• 1.5 tbsp White spirit - (Gin, vodka, aquavit, Willie Smiths schnapps)
- Place fine salt, pepperberries and sugar into a spice grinder or mortar and pestle and grind until fine.
- Mix with rock salt and spirit to form a rough paste.
- Lay clingwrap out on bench and spread 1/3 of the cure over the centre of it.
- Place the salmon on top of the cure and spread the remaining salt cure over and around the fillet.
- Wrap clingwrap very tightly around fish and cure and add a few more clingwrap layers.
- Place into a container and sit a plate on top, weighted with something such as a dinner plate
- Sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours, turning every 12 hours or so. Salmon will be cured when it is firm to the touch.
- Remove from the fridge and container and wipe salt cure off.
- Then gently run a sharp knife under the skin to remove and slice salmon thinly to serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Huon Aqua at https://www.huonaqua.com.au/recipes/tasmanian-pepperberry-cured-huon-salmon/