Whatever you call them, tacos dorados are easy, delicious and versatile. You can serve them as a snack, an appetizer, or as a main meal too!
I use corn tortillas here, but I have seen this done with flour, too. Use any salsa you like on top, but mostly you will see a smooth guacamole or the pico de gallo you see in the picture.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• salsa, for garnish
• 16 6-inch corn tortillas
• sour cream, for garnish (Optional)
• 3 cups shredded chicken, pheasant, turkey, etc.
• 1 1/2 cups corn oil or other neutral vegetable oil
• Cotija or shredded cheese, for garnish (Optional)
• 1/2 cup salsa negra, hot sauce or other smooth sauce
- Mix the shredded meat with the salsa or hot sauce, breaking up any large pieces. You need to roll a delicate tortilla around this, and you want no big lumpy bits.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Using tongs, dip the tortillas in the hot oil for a few seconds to soften them. Set them in a tray or plate.
- Put a tablespoon or two of the shredded meat in a thin rectangle on the first third of a tortilla. Wrap it up tightly, but gently, as the tortillas are tender at this point. Slide the taquito, seam side down, aside. Repeat with the remaining taquitos.
- Heat the oil to at least 325F, and ideally 350F. Using a thin spatula, slip the end of the spatula under the seam of a taquito and carefully place it in the hot oil, seam side down. Press on the top of the taquito for 10 seconds to hold it. Repeat with a few more taquitos. You will need to do this in batches so you can flip them.
- Set a cooling rack on a baking sheet and put that in the oven, setting the oven to "keep warm." After 1 to 2 minutes, turn your taquitos over and fry them on the other side for another 1 to 2 minutes. Move them to the rack in the oven and repeat with the remaining taquitos.
- Serve with the salsa, cheese, sour cream or whatever makes you happy.
This great family recipe is thanks to Honest-Food.Net at https://honest-food.net/tacos-dorados-taquitos-recipe/