• Prep time: 1 hour & 35 minutes
• Yield: Serves 8
For apricot BBQ sauce:
• canola oil
• 2 tbsps honey
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
• 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• one 13 ounce jar apricot jam
• 1 tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
• 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (1 large orange)
• 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (1 small onion)
• 1 tbsp minced Fresno chile, seeds removed (chile)
For chicken thighs:
• canola oil
• 16 chicken thighs
• 2 tsps smoked paprika
• chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the apricot BBQ sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chile and garlic; cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the apricot jam; cook until the jam melts, 3 to 4 minutes more. Pour in the orange juice and cider vinegar, bring to a simmer, and then add the ketchup, honey, Dijon and Worcestershire. Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth. Add salt to taste. Remove 1 cup for basting the chicken; reserve the rest for serving.
- For the chicken thighs: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a small bowl, stir together the smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken thighs on two foil-lined baking sheets. Lightly coat the thighs with canola oil and sprinkle liberally with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 35 minutes. Turn the oven to broil. Baste the chicken with BBQ sauce and broil until the sauce has caramelized and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 160 degrees F, about 2 minutes. Remove to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley, and serve with the reserved BBQ sauce.
This great family recipe is thanks to Food Network at https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/valerie-bertinelli/sweet-and-spicy-apricot-bbq-chicken-thighs-4720915