Spicy Middle Eastern Kofte
These Middle Eastern-style kofte meatballs are a doddle to make and perfect for the barbecue. Serve in a pitta with tzatziki.
• Prep time: less than 30 minutes
• Cook time: 10-30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 16
For the Kofte:
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 1 tbsp sumac
• 2 tsps garam masala
• 400g / 14oz lamb mince
• 1 tsp cracked black pepper
• 1 garlic clove, peeled, crushed
• 1 shallot, peeled, very finely chopped
For the Glaze:
• 4 tbsps clear honey
• 4 tbsp pomegranate molasses
• ½ pomegranate, seeds only, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Alternatively, light the barbecue.
- For the kofte, mix together all of the kofte ingredients in a large mixing bowl until well combined, using your hands.
- Divide the kofta mixture into 16 equal portions and roll each into a small sausage shape. Place the kofte onto a non-stick baking tray and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- Meanwhile, for the glaze, pour the honey and pomegranate molasses into a small pan and heat gently until warmed through. Keep warm.
- Remove the kofte from the oven, spear each one straight through the middle with a cocktail stick and arrange on a serving platter. Lightly brush the kofte with the warm glaze and sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Recipes at https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicy_middle-eastern_46516