Cater for a breakfast or brunch crowd by making French toast savoury with parmesan and smoked salmon.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 2 eggs
• 50g butter
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/3 cup fresh dill
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 small lemon, zest
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 300g smoked salmon
• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsps drained baby capers
• 2 tbsps finely grated parmesan
• 1 eschalot, halved, thinly sliced
• 2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
• 500g malted rye sourdough batard loaf
- Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan-forced. Place a wire rack over a large baking tray and place in the oven.
- Whisk eggs, milk and parmesan in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Trim ends from loaf of bread and discard. Cut bread into 12 slices. Melt a little of the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Dip 2 slices of bread in egg mixture until soaked, draining excess. Cook bread for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to wire rack in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining bread slices, egg mixture and butter.
- Place parsley, dill, lemon zest, capers and eschalot in a bowl. Drizzle with oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Divide toast among serving plates. Top each with smoked salmon, sour cream and parsley mixture. Serve immediately.
This great family recipe is thanks to Taste at https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/smoked-salmon-french-toast/3ed3a260-b20f-48a9-9abf-45fb1ec9b546?r=entertaining/6G3Cl5Ml