Slow cooker sausage casserole
You can use your favourite type of sausages to make this family-friendly slow cooker casserole. Serve it over pasta, in baked potatoes or with bread.
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 4 hours
• Yield: Serves 4
• 2 red onions, finely chopped
• 1 celery stick, finely chopped
• 1-2 tbsp rapeseed oil
• 4 carrots, cut into fat pieces
• 12 chipolatas, each halved
• 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
• 400g tin tomatoes
• 1 tbsp tomato purée or tomato and veg purée
• 1 thyme sprig
• 1 rosemary sprig
• 1 beef stock cube or stock pot
- Fry the onion and celery in the oil over a low heat until it starts to soften and cook, about 5 mins, then spoon it into the slow cooker. Fry the carrots briefly and add them too.
- Brown the sausages all over in the same frying pan – make sure they get a really good colour because they won’t get any browner in the slow cooker. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sweet potato and tomatoes.
- Put the purée in the frying pan and add 250ml boiling water, swirl everything around to pick up every last bit of flavour, and tip the lot into the slow cooker. Add the herbs, stock cube and some pepper. Don’t add salt until the casserole is cooked as the stock can be quite salty. Cook on high for 4 hrs or on low for 8 hrs, then serve or leave to cool and freeze.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Goodfood at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/slow-cooker-sausage-casserole