This slow cooker lasagna is juicy, saucy, cheesy and tastes just as good as a classic baked lasagna. You don’t even have to cook the noodles – they cook slowly with the rest of the lasagna and result in perfectly cooked tender and ultra flavorful noodles since they cook in the lasagna juices.
Not only is this a brilliant Sunday dish – start it before church and have it ready afterwards, but it can be completely assembled the night before, refrigerated and slow cooked the following day. It works perfectly! Everyone in my family (young and old-ish ;)) was completely smitten with this dish. It’s a KEEPER!!
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 4 hr 15 minutes
• Yield: Serves 10-12
• 1 lb ground beef (I used 20% fat)
• 1 small onion, finely diced
• 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
• 1/4 cup red wine, any kind (or beef broth)
• 32 oz (4 cups) marinara pasta sauce (store-bought or homemade)
• 1/4 tsp dried thyme
• 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper
• 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
• 4 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped and divided
• 9 regular uncooked lasagna noodles (NOT “oven ready”)
• 15 oz reduced fat ricotta cheese
• 16 oz low-fat cottage cheese
• 1 large egg
• 1 lb (4 cups) mozzarella cheese, grated, divided
• 1/2 cup water
What you will need: 6 Quart Slow Cooker
- In a large deep pan over medium heat, combine ground beef and onion and cook, breaking up the meat with your spatula until no longer pink (5 min). Add garlic and sauté 1 to 2 mins. Add 1/4 cup red wine and simmer until nearly evaporated (5 min).
- Add 3 cups marinara, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp sugar and 2 Tbsp chopped parsley. Mix well, cover and simmer 5 min while you stir together your cheese sauce
- In a medium bowl, combine: 15 oz ricotta, 16 oz cottage cheese (un-drained), 1 large egg, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 2 Tbsp parsley. Mix well.
- Lightly oil your slow cooker. Spread 1 cup marinara sauce on the bottom then top with 3 noodles, breaking them to fit. Top with 1/3 of the Meat Sauce, sprinkle with 1/4 of your mozzarella cheese, then spread the top with 1/2 of your ricotta cheese mixture and repeat until you have 3 layers of noodles. Top the third layer of noodles with remaining meat sauce, 1/2 cup mozzarella and pour 1/2 cup water around the edges, allowing some of it to go down the side of the dish into the lasagna.
- Cover and cook on LOW* 3½ to 4 hours** (you can use a paper-towel to soak up any excess oil that rises to the top if desired) then top with reserved mozzarella, cover and cook 10 mins or until cheese melts. Let the lasagna rest 15 mins before serving for easier serving.
Important: Do not cook on high!
* Cook 3½ hours on low if slow cooking right away and 4 hours on low if slow cooking after having the lasagna assembled and refrigerated overnight.
This great family recipe is thanks to Yummly at https://natashaskitchen.com/2017/03/03/slow-cooker-lasagna-recipe/