We have eaten so much Shake Shack over the years and there's a very good reason: It's addictively delicious!
• Prep time: 20 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
For the shack sauce:
• 1 tsp Heinz ketchup
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• Pinch cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp kosher dill pickle brine
• ½ cup hellman's mayonnaise
For the shack burgers:
• shack sauce
• 4 slices American cheese
• 4 hamburger potato buns
• 4 pieces green-leaf lettuce
• 4 tbsps unsalted butter, melted
• eight ¼-inch slices plum tomatoes
• kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 1 pound cold ground beef, formed into four 1-inch-thick pucks
- Make the ShackSauce: In a small bowl, stir all of the sauce ingredients until smooth, then set aside.
- Make the ShackBurgers: Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Meanwhile, open the hamburger buns and brush both sides liberally with the melted butter. Working in 2 batches, place the buns onto the heated skillet, buttered-sides down, and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and spoon 1 tablespoon of sauce on each top bun, along with a piece of lettuce and 2 slices of tomato.
- Increase the heat to medium and let the pan heat up for 2 to 3 minutes. On a plate, season both sides of each puck of ground beef with salt and pepper.
- Place the pucks into the cast-iron skillet, leaving plenty of room between them. Using a large, sturdy metal spatula, firmly smash each puck into a ⅓-inch-thick round patty. Cook the burgers without touching them until the edges are brown and crisp, 2½ minutes, then flip them. Place a slice of American cheese on each burger and continue to cook until medium, 1 minute more.
- Transfer a cheeseburger to each bottom bun, then sandwich with the top bun and lettuce and tomato, and serve.
This great family recipe is thanks to Tasting Table Recipes at https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/shake-shack-cheese-burger-recipe