Tonight’s elegant meal highlights an incredible fish: rich, robust barramundi. (Chefs, you’ll notice that the skin on the fillets is cut, or scored—that helps keep it flat in the pan while cooking, for an even brown!) We’re serving the seared fillets over a sauté of earthy collard greens tossed with toasty, rustic fregola sarda pasta. These satisfying flavors find a bright counterpoint in our quick agrodolce—a sweet and tangy Italian sauce, made here with aromatic shallot and golden raisins.
• Prep and cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1 shallot
• 1 tbsp honey
• 3 cloves garlic
• 2 tbsps golden raisins
• 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
• 1/2 bunch collard greens
• 2 skin-on barramundi fillets
• 1/2 cup fregola sarda pasta
• 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Prepare the ingredients: Wash and dry the fresh produce. Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high. Peel and thinly the shallot. Peel and mince the garlic. Remove and discard the collard green stems; roughly chop the leaves.
- Cook the pasta: Add the pasta to the pot of boiling water and cook, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. Reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water, drain thoroughly and set aside in a warm place.
- Make the agrodolce: Once the pasta has cooked for about 5 minutes, in a medium pan (nonstick, if you have one), heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the shallot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the honey, vinegar, raisins and as much of the red pepper flakes as you'd like, depending on how spicy you'd like the dish to be. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside in a warm place. Rinse and wipe out the pan.
- Cook the collard greens & finish the pasta: In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 30 seconds to 1 minutes, or until fragrant. Add the collard greens and half the reserved pasta cooking water. Cook, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes, or until wilted and the water has cooked off. Add the cooked pasta and remaining pasta cooking water. Cook, stirring vigorously to coat the pasta, 1 to 2 minutes, or until thoroughly combined and heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide between 2 dishes and set aside in a warm place. Rinse and wipe out the pan.
- Cook the barramundi & plate your dish: Pat the barramundi fillets dry with paper towels; season the skinless sides with salt and pepper. In the same pan, heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil on medium-high until hot. Add the seasoned fillets, skin sides down. Cook 5 to 7 minutes on the first side, or until browned and crispy. Flip the fillets and season with salt and pepper. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through. Divide the cooked fillets between the dishes of finished pasta. Top the fillets with the agrodolce. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to Blue Apron at https://www.blueapron.com/recipes/seared-barramundi-with-collard-greens-fregola-sarda-shallot-agrodolce