• Prep and cook time: 20 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
For spice oil:
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/2 tsp kosher salt plus more
• 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
• 1 tbsp (or more) fresh lemon juice
• 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
• 6 black peppercorns plus freshly ground for seasoning
• olive oil for drizzling
• 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tables grapeseed or vegetable oil
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 8 large or 12 medium sea scallops, side muscle removed
• 2 cups mixed cilantro and flat-leaf parsley with tender stems
- For spice oil: Grind first 4 ingredients and 1/2 tsp. salt to a fine powder in spice mill. Transfer to a small saucepan over medium-low heat; add oil. Cook until oil begins to simmer, 2–3 minutes. Scrape into a small bowl; stir in garlic and lemon zest. Let cool for 5 minutes, then stir in 1 Tbsp. lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper, and more juice, if desired. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm before using.
- For scallops: Heat grapeseed oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat until oil begins to smoke. Season scallops with salt and pepper. Sear until well browned, about 3 minutes. Turn; cook until just barely opaque in center, about 30 seconds longer.
- Meanwhile, place herbs in a medium bowl and drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over; season salad to taste with salt and pepper. Divide scallops between 2 plates; spoon 1 Tbsp. spice oil over each plate (reserve remaining oil for another use). Garnish with salad.
This great family recipe is thanks to bon appetit at https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/scallops-with-spice-oil