Duck Breast with Honey & Caraway
An audacious beetroot and grapefruit salad is served up alongside a honey and caraway flavoured duck breast in this delicious dish.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 30 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• salt and pepper
• 2 x 200g duck breasts
• 1/2 tbsp caraway seeds
• 1 1/2 tbsp honey
• 150g baby beetroot
• 75ml brown chicken jus
• 1 1/2 tbsp tarragon vinegar
For grapefruit salad:
• 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 1/2 tbsp walnut oil
• 1/2 red onion sliced finely
• 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 cloves of chopped garlic
• 1 pink grapefruits segmented
• 1/2 handful of young flat parsley picked
- Cook the seasoned duck on the skin side first. When the skin is dark and golden in colour, add a dash of honey and caraway seeds, turn on the flesh side to finish the cooking. When the glaze is thick, roll the breast in jus to coat them all around.
- For beetroot: Pre-heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Bake the beetroot wrapped in foil until soft in the middle, approximately 30 min. Peel the beetroots, then cut to an even shape trimming them with a knife.
Process the trimmings in a food processor to get a puree, then place in a mousseline cloth and then in a colander with a small plate over it and then topped with a weight. After 15 minutes pour the juice into a small saucepan to reduce by half and then add the chicken jus, honey and the tarragon vinegar.
- For grapefruit salad: Cut the beets into quarters and place them in a mixing bowl with the onions, garlic and parsley, then dress with the balsamic, olive oil, walnut oil and seasoning.
Arrange the beetroots onto plates. Cut the duck in thick slices and arrange over the beetroot with the grapefruits between. Spoon the sauce from the pan over; finish with micro celery or simply celery leaves.
This great family recipe is thanks to Gressingham Duck at https://www.gressinghamduck.co.uk/recipes/duck-breast-with-honey-and-caraway/