Sausages with Caponata
Jazz up your weeknight menu with these tasty sausages.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
• 2 tsps caster sugar
• 12 thin pork sausages
• 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 1/3 cup (80ml) red wine vinegar
• 2 carrots, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
• 2 celery stalks, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
• 1 red capsicum, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1.5 cm pieces
• Chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes until soft. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, then cook carrot, capsicum, celery, onion, garlic and fennel seeds, stirring, for 10 minutes or until softened and light golden. Add paste and eggplant, then cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat. Add vinegar and simmer for 1-2 minutes until evaporated. Add tomato and sugar, season and simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened and reduced.
- Meanwhile, add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to a frypan over medium heat. In batches if necessary, fry sausages, turning, for 10-12 minutes until cooked. Serve sausages with caponata and parsley.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/sausages-caponata/d429ba06-fb3a-497d-8ae9-79e2d0dc15ec?current_section=recipes&r=recipes/collections/yil20vmy