Caraway seeds add a sweetly aromatic note to the onion cream sauce in this German-inspired sausage and mash dinner.
• Prep time: 5 minutes
• Cook time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tsp vegetable oil
• 2 tsps caraway seeds
• 3 tbsps crème fraîche
• mashed potato, to serve
• medium-hot mustard, to serve
• 300ml good quality chicken stock
• 2 onions, halved then thinly sliced
• 8 good quality, large pork sausages
• 1/2 firm, round cabbage, cut through the core into 4 wedges
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the sausages and fry them over a medium-high heat for 10 mins, turning as they take on colour. Remove from the pan, then wipe out the pan with kitchen paper.
- Melt the butter in the pan and tip in the onions. Season, cover and cook for 10 mins, stirring a few times during cooking, until the onions are softening and dark golden here and there.
- Sprinkle the caraway seeds into the onions, fry for 2 mins more, then nestle the cabbage wedges into the pan. Pour in the stock, pop on the lid and simmer for 5 mins. Add the sausages to the pan and cook for 10 mins more until the cabbage is tender but still holding some of its green colour, and the sausages are cooked through. Spoon in the crème fraîche and shake the pan a few times to help it mix into the rich onion sauce below. Serve in wide bowls with mashed potatoes and mustard.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Good Food at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sausages-braised-cabbage-caraway