Forget boring bangers and mash, this seasonal traybake with roasted red onions, apples and swede is much more colourful, and just as easy to prepare.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 45 minutes - 1 hour
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 8 pork sausages
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 2 tbsps maple syrup
• 2 tsps red wine vinegar
• Cooked broccoli, to serve
• 2 red onions, cut into wedges
• 1/2 small pack thyme, leaves picked
• 1 large swede (about 900g - 2 lb), peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
• 3 sharp eating apples, such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady, cut into wedges and cored
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix the oil, maple syrup, thyme, cumin and red wine vinegar together with seasoning. Toss the swede and onions in the maple mix, then spread out in a large roasting tin and roast in the oven for 15 mins.
- Add the sausages and apple wedges, and cook for 30-45 mins more, stirring halfway through, until the vegetables are soft and caramelised, and the sausages are cooked through. Serve with broccoli.
This great family recipe is thanks to BBC Good Food at https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sausage-maple-swede-traybake