Grilled Scallops with Nori, Ginger, and Lime
To make scallops easier to grill, we thread the scallops onto sets of two skewers, not one, so they don't spin around willy-nilly when you pick them up. Then hang the skewers off the edge of the grill.
• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
• 1/2 lime
• kosher salt
• 1 toasted nori sheet
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 2 tsps fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 2 tbsps vegetable oil, plus more for grill
• 3 scallions, dark green parts only, very thinly sliced
• 12 large dry sea scallops, side muscles removed, patted dry
• 1 tsp Aleppo-style or other mild red pepper flakes or gochugaru (coarse KOrean red pepper powder)
Special Equipment: A spice mill; eight 8" wooden skewers, soaked at least 1 hour
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Mix mayonnaise, lime juice, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tbsp. water in a small bowl; set lime mayo aside.
- Finely grind nori in spice mill. Transfer half to a small bowl; set aside for serving. Transfer remaining nori to a large bowl and mix in coriander, ginger, and 2 Tbsp. oil. Add scallops and toss to coat.
- Thread 3 scallops onto 2 skewers. (This will keep scallops in place and make them easy to turn. You can also use this method for shrimp and small peppers like shishito and Padrón.) Repeat with remaining scallops and skewers. Season both sides with salt.
- Clean and oil grate, then immediately place scallops on the outside edge of the grill so that the skewers are hanging off the side. Grill, turning scallops with handles of skewers, until grill marks appear and scallops are just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, depending on their size.
- Spread lime mayo on a platter and place skewers with scallops on top. Finely grate zest from lime half over, then squeeze juice over. Top with scallions and sprinkle with Aleppo-style pepper and reserved nori.
This great family recipe is thanks to bon appetit at https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-scallops-with-nori-ginger-and-lime