Nachos are one of the very first dishes most of us figure out how to make on our own, right? Sprinkle cheese on some chips and microwave until the cheese melts! Boom! Although our microwave dorm room days are far behind us—as are most of our questionable eating habits from those college years—few things have managed to remain, and a deep-seeded love for homemade chicken nachos are one of them. Of course, our salsa verde chicken nachos recipe is exceedingly better than anything we could have whipped up back then.
• Prep time: 35 minutes
• Cook time: 1 hour & 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 6
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tbsp cumin
• 1/4 cup cilantro
• 1 tsp chili powder
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 2 - 4 oz Cotija cheese
• 2 radishes, thinly sliced
• 1 avocado, thinly sliced
• 1 onion, peeled and cut in half
• 8 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
• 1 bag of your favourite tortilla chips
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- In a medium sized pot add chicken breasts and enough water to cover. Add bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and onion. Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer. Continue to simmer for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from the pot and allow to cool slightly. Using two forks, shred the chicken completely. Toss with half of the salsa verde and set aside.
- Preheat oven to a low broil.
- On a large baking sheet spread out chips and sprinkle with the pepper jack cheese. Top with chicken and broil until cheese melts. About 5 minutes. (Keep a close eye though, oven’s very in temperature.)
- Top with cotija cheese, avocado, cilantro, radishes and serve with sour cream and extra salsa verde. Enjoy!
This great family recipe is thanks to The Modern Proper at https://themodernproper.com/roasted-salsa-verde-chicken-nachos