Roast Barramundi with Curried Green Banana
Curried green banana adds an unexpected kick to this flavour-packed dish.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 25 minutes
• Yield: Serves 4
Ingredients• 1 cup (250ml) sunflower oil
• 2 cups curry leaves, plus extra
• 1 1/2 tbs madras curry powder
• 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
• 1 garlic clove, sliced
• 1 bunch coriander roots
• 1 tsp coriander seeds, toasted
• 8cm piece ginger (40g), grated
• 1/2 cup (125ml) red wine vinegar
• 4 x 150g barramundi fillets (skin on)
• 2 tsps olive oil
• 50g unsalted butter
• 4 green bananas (‘cooking bananas’ – from Asian grocers), split lengthways, halved on the diagonal
• Lemon cheeks, to serve
• deep-fried leaves (optional), to serve
- Place bananas in a non-reactive heatproof container with a lid or a large sterilised glass jar with a lid. Heat sunflower oil in a pan over medium-low heat until oil reaches 80°C. Add curry leaves, curry powder, chilli, garlic, coriander root, coriander seeds and ginger. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to infuse. Stir in vinegar and pour over the bananas. Cover and set aside at room temperature overnight to marinate.
- The next day, season fish with sea salt. Heat olive oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook, skin-side down, for 6 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Turn and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Add butter to pan for the final 1 minute of cooking and baste fish with butter. Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes in the warm pan.
- Serve barramundi with curried bananas, deep-fried curry leaves and lemon cheeks.
This great family recipe is thanks to Delicious Recipes at https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/roast-barramundi-curried-green-banana/cf2e30fa-9b96-4266-a8cb-d3b6a93b4a3e?current_section=recipes