Quick Chicken Tacos
This is an easy chicken taco recipe loaded with big, punchy Mexican flavours. No marinating, no fussing with a separate sauce, no need to go overboard with toppings.
This Chicken Tacos is a quick way to get your midweek taco fix! Shredded Mexican chicken that comes with its own sauce, a homemade chicken taco seasoning does double duty to flavour the chicken AND make the taco sauce.
• Prep time: 15 minutes
• Cook time: 10 minutes
• Yield: Serves 12
• 2 tsps sugar
• 1.5 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsps tomato paste
• 700g chicken thighs, skinless boneless (OR breast)
• 1 cup (250ml) chicken broth, separated (liquid stock)
For the homemade taco seasoning:
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 3 tbsps lime juice
• 1/2 tsp black pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 tsps EACH cumin powder, paprika
• 2 tsps EACH garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust spiciness to taste, can skip)
• sour cream
• shredded lettuce
• shredded cheese
• taco shells or tortillas, warmed per packet directions
• diced tomato, onion, avocado, coriander / cilantro leaves
- Place Taco Seasoning ingredients in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of the chicken broth and mix to form a loose paste.
- Add chicken, turn to coat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook chicken for 3 minutes on each side until lightly seared. (Reserve marinade dregs in bowl)
- Remove chicken into a shallow dish.
- Return skillet to stove, reduce to medium. Add remaining chicken broth, tomato paste, sugar and scrape in any marinade left in the bowl. Mix to dissolve, scraping base of pan, and bring to simmer.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken with forks, or chop (don't worry if raw inside).
- Return chicken into sauce, toss and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until sauce reduces to a thin syrup consistency (add water if reduces too fast). Adjust salt to taste.
- Transfer chicken and all sauce to serving bowl.
This great family recipe is thanks to Recipe-Tin-Eats at https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-tacos-with-sauce/