Massaman curry comes from southern Thailand and is not as fiery as green or red Thai curries. We love the fragrant flavours and the texture that the peanuts add.
• Prep time: 40 minutes
• Yield: Serves 2
• 1 stick cinnamon
• 1 tbsp fish sauce
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 200g raw king prawns
• 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
• 2 limes, 1 quartered to serve
• 2 pods cardamom, squashed
• 1-2 tbsps massaman curry paste
• red chilli and basil shredded to serve
• 1 tbsp peanuts, toasted and chopped (Optional)
• 150g small new potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- Cook the massaman paste in the thick bit of the coconut milk for a few minutes until it becomes fragrant. Add the rest of the coconut milk and simmer for a minute. Add the potatoes, cinnamon, cardamom and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the prawns, sugar, lime juice and fish sauce, and cook for 3-4 minutes until the prawns are just cooked and pink.
- Serve the curry sprinkled with lime wedges, peanuts (if using), chilli and basil.
This great family recipe is thanks to Olive at https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/fish-and-seafood/prawn-massaman-curry/